Thursday, June 4, 2009

Honey For A Child's Heart


Thanks to CL, I have a great book to read. Very inspiring, thank you very much! A book by Gladys Hunt.

I'm already practising one of the suggestions:

Quoted from chapter 1. Bequest of Wings:
Well-chosen words need only be few in number, and they help store away the pleasure of the adventure.
We have awakened a small boy at midnight to see the marvel of the northern lights. We have stood on hillsides and described the numerous shades of springtime greens across the landscape. It's a marvelous game of awareness and words.
It's a game that can be played anywhere at odd moments. How do you think a barn in Nebraska looks? One child may answer, "Red, with cows around it." Another may say, "Gray and lonely, with no trees near." A third child may light up and say, "The barn looks gray and tired, weathered from the summer's blast of heat and weary from icy winds that blow across the flat plains in winter."

Each answer is a good one. Yet those who saw less will be pleased by the contributions of those who saw more in their minds. They will sense the living substance of a touch of imagination and try to increase their own awareness. You may be thinking at this point, I handle words so poorly myself. How can I help my children? This game will teach you as well and bind you to your children as you share what we call "imaginings."

Try other questions: How does a summer night sound? How does a rainy day feel? ...each child (can see) the "possibility of words"...it will help train the ear to listen and the heart to feel beauty and emotion as it comes out in stories that the children later read. The benefits work both ways.

End of quote.

I'm having a lot of fun with this!

And what does Captain think of me reading this book?


I'm glad you're reading it, then I'll get more books onto my bookshelf!

No comments:

Post a Comment